Chicken Breeds

Chicken breeds are defined by poultry standards that tell us how a breed should look. In the United Kingdom, breed create the standard and the Poultry Club of Great Britain approves it. The British Poultry Standards book has all of these standards together with photos of most breeds. By joining a breed club you should receive a copy of the breed standard for your chosen breed.

This page provides some information about the more popular UK chicken breeds for the beginner. There are of course many more available and if you want to see them all, I would recommend you visit the poultrykeeper chicken breeds pages where you can see all of the UK Standardised breeds and get more in-depth information.

AnconaAncona

The Ancona is named after the Italian City of Ancona in the East of Italy. It is thought they first reached our shores in 1851. It is a good layer and an active forager and are usually very friendly birds. Anconas are hard to find, there aren’t that many breeders around. Many people believe the Ancona to be related to the Leghorn.

The large comb of the male birds can suffer from frostbite.

AraucanaAraucana

The Araucana originates in South America. Named after the Araucano tribe of Native South Americans. A good looking bird that has an attractive beard and crest.

The Araucana is a hardy breed that lays a good number of medium sized blue to green coloured egg which makes an attractive addition to any egg box.  They should ideally be kept alone as they can be bullied due to impaired eye sight from their ‘head-gear’.

AustralorpAustralorp

The Australorp was developed in Australia from imports of Orpingtons. The British continued to develop the Orpington for show making them profusely feathered and it is said that the Australorp was left alone, much more like the original Orpingtons that William Cook had created with better utility qualities.

A good layer that is a docile breed suitable for beginners. Australorps are active foragers and are reasonably hardy. Being a heavy breed, they cannot fly well so can be contained within low fencing.

Belgian Bantam

Belgian Bantam

The Belgian bantam comes in 5 varieties. They are a true bantam, which means they have no large counterpart. They are not difficult to keep but some varieties have feathered feet so must be kept out of mud.

They are active birds and can become very tame if handled regularly from young although some cocks can be aggressive during the breeding season.

Croad LangshanCroad Langshan

The Croad Langshan chicken arrived in England in 1872 when they were imported by a British Army major called ‘Croad’. They are strong, heavy birds and are docile in nature. They do not fly so can be kept behind low fences although their feathered feet mean they should not be kept in muddy conditions.

This breed of chicken is a ‘dual purpose utility breed’, useful for both the table and as an egg layer.

The black Croad Langshan is the most popular but white is also available.

Cream LegbarLegbar

The Crested Cream Legbar is the most popular variety of Legbar and many consider them a separate breed. They have a small crest and thanks to their Araucana origins, lay blue to green coloured eggs. A big benefit of the Cream Legbar is that it is an autosexing breed – that is – day old chicks can be sexed by the colour of their down. This means if you plan on hatching chicks, you don’t have to feed or dispatch unwanted male birds for 10-12 weeks as with other breeds.

LeghornLeghorn

Together with the Rhode Island Red, the Leghorn has been one of the most instrumental in commercial egg producing breeds.  They are small and produce large numbers of white eggs so have a good ‘feed efficiency’. The comb is upright on the male and flops over on the female. The leghorn can be quite flighty and can fly well so make sure they can be kept securely in a run with a roof, or clip the primary flight feathers of one wing once their feathers have stopped growing to keep them on the ground.

MaransMarans

This breed comes from South West France where they take their name from the town of Marans.

Marans are good layers of dark chocolate brown coloured eggs, the Copper Black Marans variety lays the darkest coloured eggs. The French Marans have feathered feet but the English standard calls for unfeathered feet. Originally a dual purpose breed but now used more for eggs than meat for the table.

OrpingtonOrpington

The Orpington is named after the town in Kent where it was developed by William Cook in 1886. They come in a variety of colours and are profusely feathered. Orpingtons were kept by the late Queen Mother.

Orpingtons require more space than other breeds and prefer to perch on low perches. They cannot tolerate getting wet very well so should always be provided with plenty of  shelter.

Rhode Island RedRhode Island Red

The Rhode Island Red is a good layer of large brown eggs and together with the Leghorn, has been one of the most used birds for creating commercial hybrids.

The Rhode Island Red is well suited to smallholdings since it is a hardy bird that is good at foraging in a free range environment. It doesn’t fly too well so can be kept within a low fence.

A Rhode Island White exists but is seldom seen, especially in the UK.

Light SussexSussex

Of all the chicken breeds, the Sussex is one of my personal favourites.  The Light Sussex (shown left) is by far the most popular. They are a hardy breed that will be happy to forage for some of their food around the garden. The Sussex is called a ‘dual purpose utility breed’ that is, it is useful for both the table and as an egg layer. A good choice for beginners that are also available as bantams if a small garden is all you have.

WyandotteWyandotte

The silver laced Wyandotte was the first colour variety to be developed in America, being standardised in 1883. The Wyandotte is a popular breed and since then, a multitude of colour varieties have been created.

Wyandottes are docile and friendly birds that can become very tame if handled regularly. They are good layers but are prone to broodiness which isn’t always desirable as hens will stop laying whilst sitting and their condition deteriorates.

33 Responses to Chicken Breeds

1. Syed Abbas says:

I am interested to buy chicks for my daughter in quantity of seven or nine. How can you help me. Along with a chicken house

• Vickaa says:

May I reply to that? (well I will anyway) 😉
      Orpingtons, are my favorite! They are docile, sweet, and -because I held them a lot when the were chicks- they looooove being held. And the roos are so fat, they hardly ever try to spur me, unless I’m freaking out his gf. The only thing is they DO need more space, and they go broody if you don’t get their eggs that mornin’; Plymouth rocks are really sweet and good egg layers; Rhode Island Reds, are truly great layers, but they aren’t as Docile as the others. A little skiddish, as I like to put it; Leghorns are FANTASTIC layers, but again, a little skiddish; Wyandottes, are pretty, (especially the gold laced ones), and good layers. But mine are less bright than the others. Like when I get the feed out there for my gals/guys, they are the last ones to have a litebulb come on :-/; Aracanas, they are the sweetest ladies. (the roos on the other hand…) if you like natural dyed eggs, you’ll love those gals. (some of mine even lay violet eggs!…Which is a rarity); Australorps, are sweet, and great egg layers; Jersey Giants, are supposedly the largest of all the chicken breeds. (I do have a brahma that’s bigger). They are big, so they eat a LOT of food and space, but mine are by far the most kind and docile, out of the flock.; Brahmas are Sweet and cute, and pretty good egg layers, but they are -just like the Jg’s- big, so they eat more, and need plenty of space.; And last but not least, I’ll tell you about the Cochins. The are a very pretty breed of chicken, and fairly good layers. But having booted feet, You need to keep them OUT OF THE RAIN!! I cannot emphasize that enough. Having those feathers on their feetm, neans, if the get wet, and you don’t know what to do, they can get sick. I take care of that, by holding one in my lap at a time -others in my husbands, and kids- and gently dry them off with a towl. If you’re thinking of getting the big breeds, I suggest -if possible- getting a free range flock. You’ll need electric fence around it, to keep out, rats, wolves, or other bad guys, depending on where you live. I hope this helps in any way, and I hope I didn’t bore your brains out, but, I thought I’d let you know about my girls/guys. 🙂

2. Valeriel says:

Hi there, does anyone know where I could buy Australorp bantams or chickens in Lincolnshire please? I am setting up a coop and they seem ideal. I only want one or two to go with a Sussex and Pekin bantams.

3. eddie says:

what about warrens?

thought they were the most popular layers

Warrens are again a ‘trade name’ for a hybrid cross. Roughly (trade ‘secrets’ don’t reveal the exact make up of most hybrids) are the same as a “Goldline” or a Rhode Island Red X Light Sussex as far an I can tell…

4. Emma says:

hi
    What is the youngest age you can buy chickens and can you get 2 young and one big?

thanks

You can buy chicks, but remember you will also get males as well as females.

An older hen? I would only try to buy mother with chicks. If not you will have to keep them separately and then have the problem of integrating them later on.

5. Michelle says:

Hi There, I am looking at getting two chickens for my 6 year old – she would like to be able to pet them. What breed would you recommend for this.
    As the main ‘assistant’ carer I would like them to be able to forage around the garden so they would need to be able to take care of themselves as we also have a small but playful cat – he’s pretty harmless really.
    The chicken coup and run would be approx 6ft 3 in x 4ft 6 in – would that big enough for two hens. We would like them to be pretty good egg layers but are looking for them to be pets rather than egg layers – that is just a little bonus.
    Please could you give us some advice.
    Thansk

I would look towards Hybrids. They are usually friendly and will produce more than enough eggs. They are a good choice for beginners too being fairly hardy birds. The size of the coop and run sounds big enough if you are able to let them out into the garden a little to forage. The smaller runs need more care to keep them fresh but it can be done.

Cats aren’t normally a problem for grown chickens.

6. Paul says:

Hi, we’re thinking of getting some hens and the Devon house and run, would this big enough for perhaps 3-4 hens? We will be newcomers to keeping hens, so not sure what breed to go for… the Australorps appear to tick all the boxes, as they will be partly free-range and we don’t want them to escape, and they are good layers, but what would you recommend, please. Also, can you keep different breeds together? Thanks in advance for your help.

I think so – but remember to let them out now and again to free range – they will love it 😉
      Yes, you can keep different breeds together – but keep the size of the birds about the same, or you may find they bully the smaller birds.

7. Kathy says:

Hello, my partner and I have been debating getting chickens for sometime. We would like to get Dorking chickens as I am from the town of Dorking originally. Would you recommend this breed of chicken for beginners? Would you recommend having Dorkings with children?

I haven’t kept Dorkings – but have handled some in the past – they seemed fairly docile but best to contact a breeder and go and see some.

8. robert allaway says:

Just got my first hens (Amber star. Speckled. Warren ) crazy 10 minutes trying to put them to bed. Not. Used to a coop. How long will this last.

9. Kimberly says:

Hi, Thank you for all the information, I have learned so much. I just have a couple of questions though. On average how long do chickens live for? Does it depend on the breed? Also are they very noisy? I would like to get a couple of chickens for my little girl, shes going on 2. Mainly as pets rather than eggs. Although that will be a nice bonus. I am just worried about the noise and my neighbours?

I would say 5-6 years is about the average although I have seen 10 year old chickens that are quite happy! I guess different breeds have slightly different lifespans – certainly hybrids that are produced for commercial egg production (eg Goldlines) don’t tend to make it past 3 years…

10. Amber Lansley says:

There has been discussion about chickens scratching up grass etc if they are kept within an enclosed run however I have been told that some breeds do not scratch. In fact I have seen runs with a number of chickens in where the grass is still intact, but the name of the breeds elude me! I was leaning towards Pekin Bantams due to their size (and cuteness/petability) and will give them approx 12’x’12’ enclosure with coup with free range in the garden when we’re around. What number would be comfortably accommodated in this size space? And would they destroy the patch of grass they’d be on?
    Many thanks for the website – it’s a great find for a beginner!

Umm tough to say really. I’ve had some that scratch more than others and of course the size is only one factor – there are many different soils and types of grass so I guess it depends on how resilient it is as well as how well drained. We are on clay and we soon get puddles of water that turn an area to mud but a chicken keeper I visited this morning had very sandy soil and she had very little mud, even with 12 ducks running in the same area.

Suck it and see. If it turns to mud, you can always change it to a deep litter wood chipping run.